Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Am I An Old Head?



Ok let me clarify my position. I love Jay-Z and I appreciate Lil Wayne but my opinion stands in the fact that Jay-Z uplifts the masses like a pushup bra for small titties and has always set the standard in hiphop and rap .In the other corner we have Mr.I'm On Everybodies REMIX, Lil Wayne, Mr. Platinum selling in one week - notably a feat that's been hard to achieve in the music business for the last 3 years - Mr.Carter has kept his loyal fans entertained for 3 years while in the midst of a so called "drought" having some of the cleverest punchlines in the game since Jadakiss, Fabolous , and Cassidy respectively. Now my point in question is : Jay-Z has set THE standard with quality music whereas Lil Wayne has bastardized that idea and created a saturation of infatuation with making content on the fly with most of his 300+ songs in his catelog falling on deaf ears (including mine). My problem is trying to relate to the turning of the guard. Am I getting too old to understand why an artist like Lil Wayne is very relevant amongst elementary through high school students or is it just plain obvious that with the new out comes the old? Jay-Z can very well go down as the Beatles of our generation in fine tuning himself as a commodity that everyone loves to sink their teeth into. I believe the true test of time is still on Lil Waynes hands and that's the promise of hiphop culture - to expand, create and deliver new ideas and to rethink ways to make anything possible. Souljah Boy is one prime example and I would be a damn fool to tell you he's got star power written all over him. I just want to know what a "YOUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLL" really is anyways.

No comments: